Feb 24, 2021
Did you know there are more than 400,000 children in
the U.S. who are in the foster care system? The average age of a
child in foster care is 8 years old, and there are more boys than
girls. There are so many kids who need a home, support and
My guest today is Allie Roth, president and founder
Love, which aims to help foster families change the
lives of children ages 0-6 by providing resources that nurture
dignity, hope and community.
2:42 – Allie Roth 101
- Allie is married with two children and has always
loved kids. She was a teacher and learned about some of the needs
in the community.
- She doesn’t say “foster kids.” She says “kids in
- She created her nonprofit in the Portland
7:18 – Misconceptions about foster care
- In Oregon, about 1 in 100 kids are in foster care,
which is double the national average. It is not normal. On any
given day, there are around 7,000 kids.
- Part of the reason is the opiate crisis and housing
13:28 – Misconceptions about kids in foster
- No kid goes into foster care through a fault of
- Kids need a loving place to land while their
parents are in rehab or have other issues.
- 60% of the kids in foster care come from
17:15 – Fulfilling needs
- They have volunteers who shop for the kids so the
kids feel seen and known. They gather car seats, bottles, shoes and
- After 90 days, foster parents can reach out and ask
for more supplies.
21:53 – How did Allie begin With Love?
- Beginning a nonprofit is really hard. Allie talked
with other nonprofits to find out how they did it.
- She focused on volunteering, and found a lot of
retired people who wanted to help.
27:27 – Connecting with other organizations
- Allie gets calls and emails all the time about
working with other organizations. She is very active on social
media and has met a lot of people through that.
- Eventually, she wants to do replication seminars so
people can learn about foster care 101.
36:17 – Ways people can support Allie’s work
- Intentionality is key. Instead of just dropping
your stuff off at a donation center, ask yourself, “Who can I bless
with what I have?”
- Allie believes in transparency and shares how her
organization is doing in an annual report and on social media.
43:11 – How her kids have adapted to being foster
- Having kids is a huge asset. For Allie’s family,
she brings in kids who are younger than her children.
- They don’t have a placement all the time, so her
kids get excited when a new child comes to stay.
46:27 – Get to know Allie
- Her guilty pleasure? People Magazine
- Song she has to sing? Panic at the Disco’s “Hey
Look Ma, I Made It”
“In Oregon, there are about 1 in 100 kids in foster
care. That number is double the national average, so that is not
normal.” – Allie
“On any given day [in Oregon], there are around 7,000
kids in foster care, ages o to 18.” – Allie
“Volunteers are the heartbeat of what we do.” –
“Who can I really bless with what I have? That’s
being intentional.” – Allie
About Allie Roth:
Allie Roth is the President and Founder of With Love, which is a
non-profit organization working to support foster families in
Portland, Oregon. For Allie, With Love is more than an organization
with a cause, it’s a must-have movement. Since 2013, she has
brought love and dignity to the forefront of foster care, changing
the lives of thousands of families and kids in the community.