Jan 11, 2023
Hey! Welcome to my podcast, Can I Laugh on Your
Shoulder? (formerly known as Business with Purpose!) I’ll be
talking with guests each week and having raw, funny, and often
brutally honest conversations about the things that matter most in
My first guest is Sandra Stanley, and we are talking
all about parenting. But wait! If you don’t have kids, that’s OK.
We’re also talking about conflict resolution, and this is the kind
of conversation that I guarantee everybody can get something out
Sandra is married to Pastor Andy Stanley, and they
have three grown children. Sandra is known for her devotional
books: "Breathing Room" and "Comparison Trap.” She is also the
cofounder of North Point Ministries in Atlanta. She and her husband
are releasing a new book, “Parenting:
Getting It Right.”
3:22 – Sandra 101
- Sandra and Andy have been married 34 years, and all
three of their kids are married.
- Her daughter just had a baby girl, and Sandra is
enjoying all the newborn snuggles.
- Sandra and her husband have been foster parents
8:34 – Getting it right
- Sandra’s book doesn’t have all the answers for
every parenting dilemma. There are no perfect parents. There are no
- Her “it” was having such a good relationship with
her kids that they still wanted to be together when they were
14:36 – Mindset shifts
- Sandra and her husband made “honor” an important
part of their children’s relationship. They had to apologize
- “Honor mom” and “Don’t tell a lie” were the two big
rules in their house.
28:56 – Stages of parenting
- There are different stages of parenting. From 0 to
5 years old, it’s focused on discipline. Five to 10 are training
years. From 11 to 18 are the coaching years.
42:51 – Takeaways from the book
- Sandra wanted to raise kids who were accountable to
God and who sought God’s will for their lives.
- Don’t make your kids have quiet time with the Lord
each morning. But model it, encourage it and make it easy.
50:02 – Good things and hard things
- Last thing that made her laugh? Hearing her kids
laugh with their cousins
- Last thing that made her cry? Seeing the first
picture of her grandchild
What other endorsement do you need if your kids
endorse your parenting book? – Sandra
We don’t have all the answers for all of your
parenting dilemmas. There are no perfect parents. There are no
perfect kids. – Sandra
One of the greatest rewards in this season of life is
watching our kids choose each other, like each other and want to be
friends. – Sandra
We wanted to raise kids who were accountable to God
and who sought God’s will for their lives. – Sandra