Jan 25, 2023
My guest this week is Teresa Swanstrom Anderson, an
author, speaker, podcast host, Bible teacher and entrepreneur. She
is obsessed with the concept of living lighter, while helping
overwhelmed women learn how to slow down with Scripture as well as
Teresa lives with her husband and six children and
has written more than four Bible studies. Today we’re talking all
about parenting, and it went in a direction I wasn’t expecting.
2:45 – Teresa 101
- She got married to a guy who she initially thought
was a big douche, but it turns out he’s awesome.
- Teresa never thought she wanted children, but she
changed her heart after consulting God and now has six kids.
- She felt like the Lord was saying to her, “What
life are you after? The life of busyness and hustle and bustle or a
slower paced, more intentional life?”
12:34 – The Bible is not boring
- People say the Old Testament is so boring, but
Teresa says, “Have you actually read it? It’s so full of
16:40 – Kids or no kids?
- Teresa didn’t want kids initially because she
viewed families as TV versions full of problems and stress.
- She babysat four times and had some terrible
22:24 – Adoption dreams
- After having two biological children, Teresa and
her husband wanted a girl and an older boy. They now have six
35:32 – Adoption difficulties
- You should consider the birth order of your
biological and adoptive children.
- Sometimes you have to have hard conversations with
people who say things about your adopted children.
- Teresa corrects people when they ask how many
children she has and how many she adopted. They are all her
children, she says.
1:00:14 – Get to know you
- Last thing that made her laugh? One of Teresa’s
sons can impersonate her husband really well.
- How does she choose joy? She likes the saying “Take
joy” instead of “Choose joy.”
I felt like the Lord was saying to me, “What life are
you after? The life of busyness and hustle and bustle or a slower
paced, more intentional life?”
I didn’t know what the Lord was calling me to, but I
knew pretty quickly what he was not calling me to.
People say the Old Testament is so boring, but I’m
like, “Have you actually read it? It’s so full of drama.”