May 22, 2019
In the last year, I've been open in sharing about my faith
journey and it's impact on my life. Through grief, my faith has
been stretched and grown, and through scripture, my faith has been
transformed. However, memorizing scripture can be a challenge. Meet
Vera Schmitz, the founder of Dwell. Dwell is a membership service
that helps people to connect with God through scripture verse
memory. On today's podcast, we'll examine how Dwell profoundly
changed the way I view scripture and scripture memorization.
Things You Don't Want To Miss:
4:17 - The Vera 101
- Vera spent most of her life training as an athlete. In middle
school, she fell in love with track and field. She trained in pole
vault, and she attributes her faith in God to keeping her rooted
along the journey.
- Scripture kept Vera focused and in tune with God as she
competed. She found scripture memorization to be a helpful tool,
and as her competition got bigger, she turned to those verses to
deepen her faith.
- Vera trained to become a part of the U.S. Olympic team and
compete in pole vault. When she didn't make the team, she prayed
God would show her the next steps, and the idea for Dwell was
- She wanted to share her unique technique for scripture
memorization to connect people with God.
- Vera explains her passion for pole vaulting and reminisces
about watching Stacy Dragila at the 2000 Olympics in
Sydney. Her hero won gold, and Vera was hooked.
12:56 - Rooted In Faith
- Vera grew up in a Christian home. The youngest of five, her
oldest sister shared the Gospel with Vera after becoming a
Christian in college. She challenged Vera to accept Christ.
- She remembers the parable in Matthew about the power of having
faith even as small as a mustard seed. God took her mustard seed of
faith and grew in her a need for Him.
"Truly I tell you, if you have faith like a grain of mustard
seed ,you will say to this mountain, "Move from here to there," and
it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." -
26:28 - God's Love Letter To Us
- God's word is His love letter to us. Memorizing scripture puts
God's word on our hearts and protects us when we encounter
- When troubles arise, cling to scripture.
- Memorizing scripture gives us life and enables us to stockpile
the truth in our lives.
29:30 - A Test Of Faith
- Vera shares some of the experiences that tested her faith.
Sports are filled with highs and lows, and as the competition
becomes a grind, it's easy to give into the doubts in your head.
Scripture helped Vera to combat those doubts.
- An injury brought Vera's career to an end 13 days before the
Olympic trials. God's word strengthened her. She was reminded that
He is our ultimate prize.
35:33 - A Different Plan
- We're quick to make our plans, but God often has something
different for us. We need to surrender our story to His.
- Vera explains her hope for people to know God through her
- Dwell launched in December of 2017. Amidst the launch, Vera and
her husband adopted a son.
40:44 - More About Dwell
- Dwell has a plan for individuals as well as a family package.
You can use Dwell to learn scripture together with your friends and
- Use your Dwell tattoos as a talking point. Vera explains how
Dwell verses open up opportunities for conversations about faith
with friends and coworkers.
- Dwell is a family operation. Vera's sister is a pastor's wife,
and she writes Dwell's content. Vera is in charge of the design,
and her aunt serves as a consultant.
Getting To Know Our Guest:
- 43:43 - Vera shares her love for tacos and sushi, her verbatim
memory of the 8 Mile soundtrack, her vast appreciation for Harry
Potter, and much more.
To visit the Business With Purpose website, click the